** You are viewing the old webpage. Newer version of Piken's Pursuits. **
This page is simply a place for me to put up my utilities and documents. The utilities include SpriteView for viewing raw graphics in several formats, TileView for viewing byte/word arrays in a file, BgMapper for ZSNES savestate scenes, and lastly a work in progress Spc2Midi for converting SPC captures to MIDIs. These were all written for myself just to figure out how the SNES, its games, graphics, levels, and anything else all worked, but if somebody else can get some use out of them, here they are. The docs include the ZSNES savestate structure, SNES bitplane graphics, fx chip graphics, levelmap tile tables, how SNES graphic layers are arranged...
|Recent - 2001 - 2000 - 1999|
Pilotwings - Maps - added collection by Graham Lackey|
For more game maps... Music page - directory fix.
All songs work now. Been broken on this mirror for a while, but nobody ever told me.
SNES/GB Graphics Formats in Spanish - translated by Magimaster 2|
Added a Spanish version of this ancient document (documents).
Treasure Hunter G - Mode 7 Map - by Shogetsu|
Another contribution to the small collection of game maps. SNES chip labels - new document
You have any idea how long I've wanted to take apart my SNES and games? Ever since I bought it. I want to have full pictures too, but that will need to wait until my batteries are recharged. However, I did compile a list of chips and labels found inside the main console and a few selected games.
True, I have not made any more progress on mine for quite a while, so someone might as well take up the charge; but if you plan to make a utility that does the same thing as another utility, don't call it the EXACT same name. Anyway, check it out.
Secret of Mana - Complete Map - by Raven|
It definitely took a lot patience to piece this one together - a lot more than I ever had making any of mine! ^_^ He made it using BgMapper & ZSNES. You can see more on the maps page.
Piken's Pursuits - changed name|
Twas originally a contraction of peek and in, since I like to take things apart and see what they look on the inside. Thought it was clever at the time, but then I started finding all these lecherous perverts that use the same name. -_-
So now it uses the Romaji equivalent of exact same sound. This will invariably lead to some mispronunciation, except the people who know a little Japanese; and they are often the people who contact me most often anyway.
Piken's Pursuits - new site URL|
Get this: "Your Tripod website is among our most popular. We know this because it's generating tons of page views! This kind of traffic is a tribute to the content of your site, as well as your self-promotion abilities."
Don't ask me how, considering I don't have enough content to bring anybody by.
Tripod has served me well, and I will always be grateful for that; but it will much easier for me to update my site (just a file copy) on the University's webspace. Plus, that ads won't mess up my main menu's formatting. I'll admit, they are not too intrusive and do have relevant content; however, I probably won't update this mirror as often.
LanMole 1.2 - project in progress (yet more vaporware from me)|
It's not emulation related, but I've been working on it a few months now.
BgMapper .177 - minor change|
As if you couldn't tell by the lack of updates, I haven't been working on my utilities at all, since college simply takes more time now. Yay, last final of fall term was today. Don't depend on any progress soon, but be comforted I will NOT remove this site simply because of lack of interest - even if only one person a week visits it.
Spc2Midi .130 preview|
Spc2Midi .121 - Felt like working on this old project some more. Still a console app, but it should work in helpless WinNT/XP now.|
Most curious?? Sorry all you nearly 200 visitors Sunday. Not sure why flood, but I haven't done anything new :/|
Piken's Utilities, had a total of 294 visitors last week. Visitors for last week divided per weekday:
Comb ordering DLL with VB demo|
Totally unrelated to emulation: A friend recently asked me to speed up his already speedy Visual Basic comb sorting routine. Since I recently learned how to create DLLs in assembler, I thought this would be a good exercise/challenge to try. The demo includes the DLL and a VB example that shows how to call it using a few different array types. On this test machine (PII 350Mhz), it ordered 1 million longs in 10 seconds. I'm not sure if that is really that good or not, but it seems fast enough to me.